Thursday, July 18, 2019

Latest Prayer Flag


Having become involved with the Sew Powerful Purse Project, it seemed only fitting that I hang a prayer flag in the garden to remind me to offer prayer for the young girls in Zambia and for the team that works tirelessly to keep them in school.

I like using the prayer flags as a way to try out new techniques and products. Hanging out in the elements where they will eventually decompose and where no one will see all my little boo-boos makes for pretty much a stress free effort. Having read about using Terial Magic as a fabric stabilizer before cutting with the Silhouette Cameo, I gave it a try. I like it!  The fabric was very much like paper and didn’t fray with the cutting. According to the bottle it also works to stiffen fabric before printing fabric with the computer; I haven’t tried that yet but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. According to the instructions, the stabilizer washes out leaving a soft fabric. (Since this will be hanging in the garden, I saw no need to wash it.) 

Following the directions from the Silhouette School Blog, I ironed Heat ‘N Bond to the fabric before cutting the letters with the Cameo. There was one little glitch, the letters did not adhere to the black fabric. Hmm….I bet that is because I didn’t prewash the fabric as instructed. So fabric glue to the rescue. This stuff works really well; again it gets tested in the elements quite often.



I will post more about the Sew Powerful Purse project after I have more purses to show. In the meantime, I have found what I think will be an excellent resource for improving my sewing skills; and it is free! More about that later.

If you would like to see more of the prayer flags that are currently in my garden as well as those that have been retired, there is a link at the top of this page. More information about the Prayer Flag Project and directions for making prayer flags can be found here.



No comments:

Post a Comment