Monday, January 2, 2017

And my word is................

It is time to choose My One Word to inspire and help me make positive changes throughout the year. I discovered the One Word in 2013; a concept that replaces New Year’s resolutions. As My One Word website explains it My One Word is an experiment designed to move you beyond this cycle (of failed resolutions.) The challenge is simple: lose the long list of changes you want to make this year and instead pick ONE WORD.

Once I choose my word, I make a sign to hang on the stairs that lead to The Underground as a constant reminder.


This year I had two words in mind, one was suggested by my daughter-in-law as she is privy to a new project I plan to initiate this year. That word was hope which I didn’t choose because I think the project will bring me closer to achieving the change that is my goal.

Before I reveal my 2017 Word, I’ll share how well I am doing by focusing on one word a year.

My first word, strength, came the year following the death of my son. I knew it would be important to be strong for my daughter-in-law and granddaughters. I won’t go into a lot of details here; I did work on my grief journey and I do feel strong.

The second word was focus which continues to be a struggle but I have kind of accepted that AADD is part of who I am.

The third year it was purpose; nope still haven’t found it. Recently I came to the conclusion my idea of purpose is just that, my idea. Over the years I have learned when it is God’s plans things fall into place. My ideas are just not falling into place. As I mentioned earlier, I (or is it God’s Spirit) have another craft related project in mind and it seems as though things will fall in place. (I’ll share this with you in a few weeks.)

My 2016 word was soul. Last year I focused on the things that fed my soul like having HR around all the time (retirement has worked out better than we anticipated), daily Bible study and prayer, travel, connecting with old friends, making new friends and of course, finding ways to connect with my two teenage granddaughters. (I am now on SnapChat!) My soul was very well fed!

My 2017 is


Not world peace (although that would be nice,) but peace in my soul. I want to focus on what gives me peace. (And it isn’t all those “what if’s” that float around in my head!) I want to have long conversations with friends, draw more, play (as in not trying for perfection) in the studio, plant stuff, read more and watch hummingbirds and butterflies.

If the idea of having one word instead of a list of resolutions sounds enticing; hop on over to the My One Word website for more details. I’d love it if you would post your word in the comments below.


Wishing a peaceful year to all of you in 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment